Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Patterico needs your help...

Seeing how low the qualifications have sunk to be nominated for the Nobel Prize, Patterico figured now is the time...

As regular readers know, I am involved in a campaign to get myself nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, to make a point about how easy such nominations are to make. Eugene Volokh suggested yesterday in this post (referring to my campaign, though not by name) that such a nomination would not be legitimate, because the nominator wouldn’t really mean it.

I think my nomination would be every bit as legitimate as Tookie Williams’s. If I can talk someone into nominating me, their motivation will be mixed. Their primary motivation will be to expose such nominations as less prestigious than they really are. But they need not be dishonest in making the nomination. Indeed, given the fact that terrorist and murderer Yasser Arafat actually obtained such an award, someone could nominate me and sincerely argue that they believe I am more worthy of the prize than Arafat was.


Read the LATimes article he's referencing. I had heard essentially the same story on the John and Ken show that I linked to yesterday... that basically all you need to be nominated is to have a liberal arts professor nominate you. Nothing else. So hey if you fit that single, lonely qualification let Patterico know. He (to the best of our knowledge) hasn't murdered four people (yet) let alone sponsored terrorism like Arafat. That's got to make him fairly well deserving right there.