Wednesday, January 25, 2006

0 to 60 in five seconds... on a bike

How cool is this?

(PopSci.com) -- For rocket designer Tim Pickens, a rocket on two wheels is the next best thing to a spaceship.

"At heart we're a bunch of guys wanting to go to space, and we can't afford it," says Pickens of himself and his rocket-scientist brethren, most of whom never get to ride their own creations. "Basically it's my own subscale space program."

Pickens, president of rocket-design firm Orion Propulsion, created his first rocket bike with fellow speed enthusiast Glenn May by bolting a 35-pound-thrust rocket engine to Pickens's bike -- enough power for a gentle push down the road.

That project didn't kill anyone, so Pickens got himself another bike and stepped it up, attaching a 200-pound-thrust engine capable of blasting him from 0 to 60 miles an hour in five seconds -- fast enough to beat a Porsche in a drag race.


Man I always wanted something like that when I was a kid. I might have actually taken off if I'd hit a jump with that.


Sweet. I can't believe he can take a Porsche with that thing...

(Hat Tip to Dave Barry)

UPDATE: "You ever take it off any sweet jumps?"