Monday, December 27, 2004

Gift exchange

Why do I always get the gag gift?

I've got a particularly large extended family, so instead of everyone buying everyone gifts, we just do an exchange. Up until recently, we drew names out of a hat and just got that person something on the list. It was getting very boring as more and more people simply bought gift certificates to be done with it.

So my one of my wookie cousins, my father wookie, and I, with the approval of the family's matriarch, my grandmother wookie we switched over to a white elephant type exchange with one exception. The gifts have to be something you would want. No crap gifts. No gag gifts.

But does anyone listen, no. A few years back one of the wookie aunt and uncles gave out a set of silly, fluffy animal slippers, and they've been regifted ever since. And of course this year I end up with a pair. Fabulous. At least they tossed in a bottle of tequila to help numb the pain.

So of course I'm already thinking of how I can possibly regift this next year, but the fetching Mrs. Wookie thinks this is a bad idea. Stop the cycle of regifting. But now that I've got it, I want to pass it on.

Stay tuned for more later from "As the gift regifts."