Friday, June 17, 2005

It's official... I'm a geek.

I hope this post really doesn't make any of you think less of me. Really.

So I was watching VH1's 100 Greatest Child Stars the other night with the fetching Mrs. Wookie when we got to Wil Wheaton. There was a blip on Stand by Me and then his role in Star Trek: TNG. Now Stand by Me is a great movie; one of my favorites. And I confess I did watch Star Trek: TNG fairly regularly.

I can hear you laughing. I was young and impressionable; it was a point in my life when I was starting to get into Sci-fi. I never watched any of the original series or any of the series since. I don't dress up in their uniforms or speak Klingon. I liked TNG's characters. And Patrick Stewart is a great actor.

Anyway, Wil was talking about his past and what he's doing now and he mentioned that he has a blog. I perked up and made a point to check it out. Unfortunately if you read his bio under the links and activism, he's a liberal.

I was going to say "progressive," but I figure if the word "liberal" sends you screaming, we aren't going to be able to converse anyway.

I often describe myself as a "left-leaning libertarian," but I've been very turned off by the majority of the Libertarians I've heard from. They scream at me more than the neo-conservatives do! I've come to the conclusion that most of them are just hardcore right-wingers who just don't want to pay taxes.

I believe strongly that all people should have the right to be left alone by government.

I believe very strongly that every amendment in the Bill of Rights should be respected, including the right to bear arms (though I'm not interested in owning a gun, and wish we didn't live in a world where they were necessary.)

I believe strongly that equal rights should apply to everyone, including homosexuals.

I believe srtongly that the Death Penalty is wrong in all cases, and that it's better to let a guilty man go free than let the state murder an innocent one. We are the only Western nation in the world that even has a death penalty.

I believe very strongly that we, as a society, should provide access to health care for all Americans. We are behind the curve with the rest of the Industrilaized world on this one, as well.

I have no desire to use drugs, but I believe strongly that the war on drugs is a complete failure, and addiction should be treated as a medical condition, not a moral problem.

Finally, I believe that abortion should be decided by a woman and her doctor, and nobody else. The government has aboslutely no right to tell a woman what to do with her body.


We can all have guns... good...
Death penalty bad?! HilaryCare?! Unlimited, anytime you want it abortion?!... Say it ain't so Wil.