Thursday, December 30, 2004

"I'm dying..."

"You're not dying. You just can't think of anything better to do."
- Ferris Bueller

Well, the holiday season wouldn't be complete without getting sick. It's official; I feel the head cold coming. But like the good mindless worker drone that I am, I went to work anyway. I figure all I'm gonna do is sit in front of the computer for 8 hours. How tough can that be?

This of course causes the fetching Mrs. Wookie much consternation not only because she gave me the cold (really, I'm not blaming her... I swear) and she doesn't want me to get worse. I don't either, but how is sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours different from sitting in front of the TV for 8 hours because that's what I'd be doing if I stayed home. This way I at least get paid. And as a bonus, an unlimited supply of hot tea, water, and kleenex. Can't beat that. Oooh, and just now as a bonus, I don't have to deal with customer calls, all I'll be doing is data entry stuff. He shoots, he scores!

Plus I've got this thing about calling in sick. In my opinion most workers abuse their sick days by not being sick when they call out, so unless I can't physically function I'll go to work. I've had employers send me home for being sick, which is must better than calling out. In that case, at least I gave it a shot and at that point.