Saturday, April 30, 2005

The best reason yet to break the filibuster

Froggy Ruminations posts an email from a reader that had been sent on the Senator Frist as encouragement to berak the Democrats filibuster using reasoning that neither Froggy, nor I for that matter, had heard yet:

Dear Senator Frist,

I am writing to exhort you, lest there be in your mind any thought of hesitation, that the hour has come to end this process of judicial filibuster, by which the enemies of this country continue to subvert its very foundations. I will not presume to lecture you on the constitutionality or even the fairness of this issue, nor will I condescend to addressing the fears of those who urge caution in this matter. I will, however, relay to you a perspective that I have not heard on the talk shows, nor read in the blogs, and that I hope will challenge you as an American and as a man of God.

During the thirteen years that I spent serving my county in the SEAL Teams, I often contemplated the oath I had taken to, “support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic”. I imagine that you look at that oath somewhat differently, but I hope with no less gravity, than I did. As I write, we have thousands of men and women risking everything they have to uphold their oaths. Some are losing marriages, some are losing relationships with their children and some are losing their very lives.

What do we owe these men and women? What do we owe their widows and orphans? Do we owe them a land where we call right wrong and wrong right? We certainly do not; we owe them guidance, compassion, gratitude and above all truth. We owe their children a chance to grow up in a land not assailing their innocence and purity form every side. We owe them the same level of courage and commitment which we have asked of them and with which they have so selflessly responded. While they fight for us elsewhere, we should fight for them here.

If some in the Republican majority want to falter, let them. Call them out. Cowardice under fire is a shameful thing but cowardice under pressure from a corrupt media and a minority of moral reprobates is, in my opinion, infinitely worse. I believe that if David (the one after God’s own heart) were here today he would have something to say. Who are these uncircumcised Philistines that they should defy the armies of the living God? This is a time for moral certainty. Do not fear, be of good courage - this should be the rallying cry of the day.

This is not just a battle, this is the battle; many are praying for you. Lead.

Respectfully,


Once again I say God Bless our men and women in the armed forces. They have chosen a life in service to a country they love and respect. They have chosen to fight for citizens who can not or choose not to fight, as well as fighting for those who would rather spit on them for what they perceive as injustice.

Oh and amen to the letter. Get on the ball Frist. I have a lot of respect for you, so I hope that there is agressive fighting behind the scenes with the RINOs in the party to get them on the boat.