Friday, May 06, 2005

And the award for dumbest new legislation goes to...

...the Texas state legislature.

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) -- Texas lawmakers sent a message to the state's high school cheerleaders Wednesday: no more booty-shaking at the game.

The state's House of Representatives voted 85-55 to approve a bill that would forbid sexy cheers and give the Texas Education Agency authority to punish schools that allow "overtly sexually suggestive" routines at football games and other events.


Now that is a shame. Cheerleaders and football games are what's great about high school, now we're making "booty-shaking" illegal? I can't believe there were politicians actually talking about "booty-shaking" while in session. And who decided "booty-shaking" needs a hyphen?

"People are calling and telling me how disgusting it is to see sexually suggestive routines on the part of marching units or cheerleaders," said State Rep. Al Edwards, a Houston Democrat who sponsored the bill.


Yeah, stupid people...

He complained of cheerleaders "shaking their behinds, breaking it down," but the proposal does not define what constitutes suggestive cheering.


That's too funny. Some old wrinkly white politician saying "breaking it down."

Fo shizzle.

UPDATE: I think I see a job opportunity here...

Yes sir, I would approach this assignment with the utmost of respect, dilligence, some high powered binoculars, and professional video equipment. Cheerleaders would be my life. I would be honored if I were given the duty to closely observe the cheerleaders so as to prevent any nefarious "booty shaking" and rest assured I would get up close and personal to make sure they weren't "breaking it down" more than absolutely necessary.