Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Alito tells Feinstein his abortion views are "none of her damn business"

Well, maybe that's not exactly what he said...

WASHINGTON -- Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito distanced himself Tuesday from his 1985 comments that there was no constitutional right to abortion, telling a senator in private that he had been "an advocate seeking a job."

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., an abortion rights supporter and the only woman on the Senate Judiciary Committee, said she asked the conservative judge about a document released Monday showing Alito in 1985 telling the Reagan administration he was particularly proud to help argue that "the Constitution does not protect a right to an abortion."

"He said first of all it was different then," she said. "He said, 'I was an advocate seeking a job, it was a political job and that was 1985. I'm now a judge, I've been on the circuit court for 15 years and it's very different. I'm not an advocate, I don't give heed to my personal views, what I do is interpret the law."'

When asked whether she found his answer satisfactory, Feinstein said: "The question is, Did I believe he was being absolutely truthful, and I did."

Alito did not respond to reporters' questions about the document before meeting Feinstein. "I'm just here to speak with Sen. Feinstein," Alito said.

After the meeting, Feinstein said Alito "was very sincere, he was very direct in answering my questions, he clearly is well-steeped in the law, has a good mind, is an able thinker."


Of course all of this means absolutely zilch. She's just trying not to look like a blood sucking, soul eating, two faced creep and he's just trying giving a sincere explanation of a 20 year old document. Can we just start the process and get the man confirmed already?