Thursday, December 29, 2005

File this under why are studies so stupid

Do we really need a study to tell us that eating a lot of fatty foods can lead to diabetes. I've heard doctors saying that for years as they lamented the diet of most Americans that consisted of too much fast food and other junk.

(BBC) Researchers say they have discovered how a high-fat Western-style diet may increase the risk of type 2 diabetes.

A team at the University of California, San Diego found eating lots of fat blocks production of an enzyme key to the production of the hormone insulin.

The study was carried out on mice, but the researchers hope their findings will lead to new ways to treat and prevent the condition in man.


Two things. One, it's my alma mater so I'm glad to see they're on the cutting edge of reasearch... sort of. I mean didn't they see Super Size Me? I think most 3rd graders could tell you fatty foods lead to diabetes.

Second, I get to use one of my favorite movie quotes from Music from Another Room (a good flick if you haven't seen it yet). "They injected a rat 10 times a day with the stuff, and do you know what it died from? Holes."