Wednesday, September 13, 2006

All things fantasy...

This is one of the best times of the year. Not only is baseball coming down the home stretch, but football is just getting going.

What's that mean?

It means fantasy sports a plenty. It's enough to waste almost an entire day of work. How awesome is that?

As for as the Hot Wing Conspiracy Baseball playoffs, I had a bye last week since I was in first place, so how about a preview of the 2nd round matchup for me this week. bRight & Early took on Baghdad Bombers and the Bombers are pissed. They led going into the final day and bRight pulled out some killer pitching, tied the score up, and won based on regular season matchups. Wow. So I'm facing the #5 team, bRight, and it's looking good so far. I opened an early lead (up 7-4), pounding him with Albert Pujols and Carlos Delgado. I just hope my pitching can keep up with his.

And now let me introduce you to fantasy football! We've got the Hot Wing Conspiracy league going for football as well. Here's how our league breaks down.

Offense
QB - Passing Yards (50 yards per point; 2 points at 300 yards) Passing Touchdowns (6)Interceptions (-2)Sacks (-2)
RB - Rushing Yards (20 yards per point; 2 points at 150 yards) Rushing Touchdowns (6)
WR - Reception Yards (20 yards per point; 2 points at 150 yards) Reception Touchdowns (6)
Other - Return Touchdowns (6) 2-Point Conversions (2) Fumbles Lost (-2) Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
Kicking
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)Point After Attempt Made
Defense
(1)Sack (1)Interception (2)Fumble Recovery (2)Touchdown (6)Safety (2)Block Kick (2)Points Allowed 0 points (10)Points Allowed 1-6 points (7)Points Allowed 7-13 points (4)Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)Points Allowed 35+ points (-4)


It's not quite the straight stats like baseball, but it's close. Then you add up your stats, and if it's more than the opponent you're matched up against, you get the win.

Having done so well in baseball, I was hoping some of that would rub off on my football team, but after the draft, I thought I was a dead man walking. The 2 quarterbacks that I got were Drew Bledsoe and Byron Leftwich. Ugh. QBs are big point guys and I'm not a fan of either of those QBs. Beldsoe might as well be a statue... he's gonna get sacked at least 3 times a game and those are negative points. The running back situation looked a bit better, Ronnie Brown in Miami and Jamal Lewis. Brown's projected to do well as the #1 RB in Miami since Rickie "I love the ganja" Williams is gone but Lewis is thought to be perhaps a bit over the hill, so we'll have to see. The wide receivers were my bright spot. Steve Smith, Darrel Jackson, Eric Moulds and Nate Burleson are excellent to solid week in week out performers. Smith's hurt at the moment, but should be back soon. I got a steal in the TE department. I got Ben Watson in the draft, but found Kellen Winslow on waivers. Awesome! My kicker is Jason Elam. Kicking in Denver has got to be the best job in pro football. Finally my defenses are Dallas or Minnesota neither of which is really good. Dallas will get the start, but only on a week to week basis.

That being said I didn't expect much from my team this week, and I got pleasantly surprised. GOP and the City has week 1's recap...

Gridiron Wookies - 51
webcats - 38

Al Michaels asked the Magic 8-ball to see if The Wookies will dominate football, as they have done in Baseball. All signs point to yes.
MVP - Ronnie Brown (RB - MIA) 14 points (2 TDs)
Goat - Daunte Culpepper -5 points (49.6 passer rating, 2 INTs)


Brown actually saved my ass because even though Bledsoe threw for nearly 250 yards and 1 TD, he was picked off 3 time and sacked twice. What's that in fantasy points? A big fat zilch. I told you Bledsoe was no good. And as it turns out Leftwich did pretty well, but was on the bench...

And for those interested in a preview for next week, we go to GOP and College...

Gridiron Wookies v Mr Wolf Cleaning Svc
Wookies will face their first football challenge this week, as they face the streaking Wolf. Eli is predicted to get all of 3 points for Wolf, but when they said that many last week, he came back with 12 points. Vegas shows Wolf losing, but I think Vegas is crazy. Wolf wins this one 55-50.


Wolf cleaned up in week 1, so I've got my work cut out for me this week.