Saturday, October 16, 2004

Young Republicans give "Team America" 2 enthusiastic thumbs up

I had been debating whether or not I wanted to see Stone & Parker's new movie (see previous post here), but when I had the oppurtunity to go with a good friend last night, I couldn't pass it up. If you're looking for a good family film with lots of swearing, gratuitous puppet violence and sex, and you like seeing stupid Hollywood stars getting the crap kicked out of them, then Team America is your movie. The hard rocking, theme song's chorus says it all:

America, f*ck yeah!
America, f*ck yeah!

I haven't laughed that hard in a movie in forever. The charicature of Kim Jong II is priceless, and of course the 20 celebs that get scewered in the movie is so shameless I almost feel sorry for them (almost). I hope Stone & Parker make some good money on this, because none of the Hollywood elite are going to speak to them ever again.

Talking with my friend (btw: check out my friend's two band sites here and here) after the movie he pointed out Stone & Parker's history of poking fun at celebs. Everyone remembers JLo's green cleavage dress (the one that had the cut all the way down to... back when she was dating the artist formerly known as Puff Daddy). Apparently at the next big Hollywood awards ceremony Parker and Stone came dressed in the same gown (I was told they later admitted to being out of their minds on acid, but any cross-dressing humor is pretty damn funny). You think that's bad, multiply the movie times 100: Michael Moore's a suicide bomber, the Film Actor's Guild - F.A.G. for short - run by Alec Baldwin, Kim Jong II's heartfelt "I'm Lonely" solo, the broadway musical "Everyone's got AIDS", The main puppet's struggle scene with the background song about the movie "Pearl Harbor" and how bad Ben Affleck was in it, and the list goes on, and on, and, on.

It's pure genius.

UPDATE: Lt. Smash has a great round-up of other opinions around the web here.