Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Just another Conservative's night in a Liberal state

OK so I was at this bar by myself....

No, really I was supposed to meet some coworkers there, but they never showed. Apparently my imaginary secretary got the dates screwed up again. She's so fired.

Anyway... I was at this bar in Woodland Hills by myslef and I figured, no sense in letting a perfectly good English Pub go to waste, so I sat at the bar and had a beer. I chatted with a couple people, even had the local drunk come in, sit down next to me, try to hold a conversation with me (when I had to repeat what I do for a living 5 times I figured maybe he had already been hitting the bottle a bit), just to get his butt kicked out by the cute little bartender.

So I'm sitting watching the baseball game when a nice talkative guy sits down. He makes small talk, says something about the waitress being way out of his league, I laugh, and we chat.

Two sentences in to the conversation he has to let slip that he's a Democrat. Fine. I've had two beers, I just wanted a peaceful evening, I wasn't about to ruin his or my buzz.

So he let's a few more comments slip... you know... war for oil, Dubya's a moron... nothing of any substance. I am really trying not to let fly on this guy. Then he pulls a Kanye West moment of brilliance and says something to the effect of the New Orleans blacks are current day slaves.

At this point I really had to just turn to him and say, "What?"

He says, "Yeah, slaves."

....sigh....

"I didn't see any shackles on them."

"Oh, they live in shacks though."

"I said shackles... nevermind. So let me get this straight... the modern day slave gets paid via welfare by the government to have illegitimate children, is more likely to be overweight do to their easy access to cheap, high calorie foods, and despite being impoverished in the wealthiest nation on earth they still own at least one TV and live better than most of the poor in third world nation. And on top of that we allow them to arm themselves so they can shoot at the rescue helicopters that are trying to save people in need? These are slaves?"

"Yeah! So you've been to the South? You've seen the racism?"

"Nope"

"Republicans want to keep minorities in their underprivileged, working class positions. That's whay we got slaves in the first place... because they were black. We need to help them get on their feet. Republicans want to take those programs away."

"OK first... small history lesson. Ever heard of indentured servants? They were Irish. They were considrered by many at the time subhuman. And newsflash... They're not black. Hispanics... many die trying to reach the US to work. They're not black. And they can avail themselves of every opportunity in this country. My wife is part Hispanic. She grew up with no money. She started working when she was 15. She put herself through college with scholarships, grants, and loans... money available to everyone. Now at 27 makes more than her father twice her age. She had no help from anyone, not her parents. No one. All by herself."

"Is she black?"

"No"

"Is she black?"

"No"

"Is she black?"

"Dude, no!"

"Exactly."

This from a Jewish white guy. Did anyone else follow that conversation?