Thursday, September 29, 2005

Southern California in flames.... again

I wasn't blogging then, but I was almost as close to the devastating fires almost exactly two years ago. The Simi Valley fire back in 2003 came within 5 miles of the fetching Mrs. Wookie's and my apartment. We were driving up the 23 freeway and were turned back at a point as we watched the fire sparking flames on both sides of the freeway.

While we no longer live in the apartment, I still work only minutes from Simi Valley, Box Canyon, Topanga Canyon, Calabasas, and Agoura. In fact those areas form an erie crescent around the office. Needless to say, I've kept a close eye on the smoke for the past two days.

To start while I was coming back down the 210 freeway after the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim's preseason game last night (on a lighter note, damn I'm glad hockey is back), all of LA was back lit in bright red. It was quite a view where the 210 peaks between Pasadena and Glendale.

This morning once I got to work there were several pillars of smoke emanating from all around. In fact if you've seen any of the coverage of these fires, and you've seen water-dropping helicopters refilling for another run, that reservoir they're taking water from is a quarter mile from my desk. All day I was watching helicopters travel back and forth. And more importantly I was watching flames sparking up here and there all over the little valley that the reservoir backs into.


We watched many of the images on the television happening right in front of us. Hopefully my lame attempt at a graphic helps give you an idea where this is and where previous fire lines have been. The red arc around the Chatsworth reservoir is where I was (that's my office, the black dot at the "N" in Northridge. The fire actually continues further west from my line, north and east to Simi Valley, and then a jagged "L"shaped line from Simi back to the bottom of the fire line that I could see. Above it is the area burned 2 years ago. While not the same acreage yet, there are many more houses endangered by this fire.

God bless the fire fighters I saw scurrying around the ridges of the canyons as well as the pilots of the water-dropping aircraft. God speed and good aim.