Thursday, December 22, 2005

Johnny Damon sells his soul to the evil empire

Say it ain't so Johnny!! Not the Yankees!!

NEW YORK, Dec. 21 (UPI) -- Boston`s beloved yet scruffy Johnny Damon agreed to jump ship to the hated, straighter-laced Yankees in a four-year, $52 million deal, reports said Wednesday.

In a single bold stroke, the Yankees fill a center field void and gain an outstanding lead-off hitter while weakening their longtime rival, Newsday reported.

'New York came after me aggressively and that`s what sealed the deal,' Damon told WBZ-TV, Boston, Tuesday night.

Boston had offered $40 million and Damon had complained the Red Sox were dragging their feet on a new contract, Newsday said. The $52 million Yankees` pact is subject to a physical and includes a no-trade clause.

Damon told Newsday earlier that he would cut his long hair and shave his beard for the Yankees.

'George Steinbrenner has that policy for a reason, and you have to respect that,' Damon said.


I'm not even really a Red Sox fan so much as I really hate the Yankees. Nothing brings me so much joy as 1) the Braves winning or 2) the Yankees losing.

My father and I, when I was a kid, used to go to Dodger games and root for whoever the Dodgers were playing against. That has waned to an extent, but that will never waned for the hated Yankees.