Monday, May 22, 2006

Weekend Update

It was a big weekend in entertainment news. Sorry I didn't post anything over the weekend, but the fetching Mrs. Wookie and I were hosting an out of town guest (I actually helped surprise the fetching Mrs. Wookie by bringing a good friend of hers out from New Jersey for the weekend). So we were too busy having fun for me to post.

First Barry Bonds tied Babe Ruth with his 714th homerun Saturday; one more will put him in 2nd place all time for homeruns with only Hank Aaron to catch. Earlier in the week, fans in Philly gave Barry a hard time with this sign in the outfield. (Stolen image from Chad at the other Cake or Death)


Baseball fans sure do know their history...

Secondly, the Preakness was held on Saturday as well, and it turned tragic as the favorite, Barbaro, pulled up lame nearly right out of the gate. It turned out the colt broke it's leg and has since undergone surgery in an effort to save the horse's life. In college I lived in Del Mar right across the street from the Del Mar racetrack and even though I only went to a handful of races, I quickly saw why horseracing was as popular as it was. This incident reminds me reminds me of another famous horserace that ended with a horse with a broken leg, Ruffian. The famous equine battle of the sexes ended with Ruffian shattering her right foreleg as it broke and she then continued to run on it for another 50 yards. Surgery was ineffective for Ruffian and she was later euthanized. Barbaro's surgery was successful, but the vets give her only a 50-50 chance of survival.

Finally, The DaVinci Code opened this weekend, and we saw it Friday night. I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. Whatever you thought of the book, I felt it was much better than the movie, and surprisingly, Tom Hanks was fairly monotone throughout the movie. There was no range or depth to his portrayal of Robert Langdon at all. Audrey Tautou stole the scenes. The movie made $77 million in the US on its opening weekend, and $224 worldwide.