Monday, October 02, 2006

I am the Champion!

Fantasy baseball officially ended yesterday, and my mighty Wookies made an unbelievable comeback to take the crown!

Wookies Will Win - 7
fmragtops' spewers - 5



I was losing everyday I checked the score except for one. FM jumped out to the early lead and like a dog and his bone, just would not give up that lead without a fight. The first major turning point in the matchup was when I realized that this was going to be 2 weeks worth of stats instead of the customary 1 week. On Monday last week, I left a message on the league bulletin board to FM congratulating him on his win. Shortly thereafter I received frantic emails and IMs informing me that it was in fact a two week showdown. Luckily I didn't lose too many stats because of my oversight. I left Paul LoDuca on the bench because of this, but he went 0/3 and scored a run ( a very important run though as it would have ended the game with the 2 of us tied for runs).

My next big day came the following Tuesday after realizing it was a 2 week game. I had 3 pitchers starting that day and ended with 4 wins on the day. I'd been losing that category up until that day, but that put me into the lead in that category, and I think gave me a temporary lead in ERA as well.

Finally, the last day arrived. Sunday... the final day of the regular season. I was losing 6 to 5; we were tied in HRs, my offense had struck out 3 more time than FM's, he'd scored 7 more runs than me, and our batting averages were .03 apart. I had a comfortable RBI, Win, and pitched strikeouts leads. Could I catch his ERA, WHIP, runs, or fewest offensive strikeouts?

When the day was done, Pujols had jacked one last HR for the year for me (none for FM), I'd scored 7 runs (to fm's 1), and no one on my offense struck out (fm had 5 strikeouts). Talk about clutch. On the last day I still manage 1 HR, 5 RBIs, 7 runs, went 10/24 with no strikeouts, got 2 wins, and one more save.

Championship Game MVP: I'm giving it to none other than Albert Pujols who finished the 2 weeks with 4 HRs, 14 RBIs, 8 runs, and batted .364. Honorable mentions to John Smoltz with 3 wins, 18 K, and 1.29 ERA and Alex Rios with 1 HR, 12 RBIs, 10 runs, 2 SB, and batted .370. I'll give Rios the comeback award. He got some sort of nasty staph infection in his leg that kept him out for at least a month, and when he did comeback he certainly wasn't at 100%.
Championship Game Dud: Jason Marquis... 2 starts, 7 innings total, 9 earned runs for an ERA of 11.05 and a WHIP at 2.73. Fortunately, Smoltz, AJ Burnett, Woody Williams, and Curt Schilling picked up the slack.