Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Campaign for Hillary '08 begins

Also known as ABC's new show Commander in Chief, a female VP takes office after the death of the President. Sure Geena Davis is openly a moderate and an independent and brings in a Republican war veteran General to be her VP, but the timing for this is scary.

Now I've nothing against a female preisdent (though politically I'd rather it be Condi), but I don't think this show actually helps promote the plausibility of a woman President. From what I saw (I did not see the whole thing, only about 75% as I flipped back and forth between that and My Name Is Earl) the show seemed to shot for half family drama, half West Wing: main story line - dealing with the new job as President and assorted political pressures of picking her VP and dealing with the press; side stories - husband dealing with being called "First Gentleman" and "First Spouse," having to pick out clothing with an advisor to ensure he continues to be the fashion icon all previous First Ladies have been, and of course the security disaster when the 16 year old daughter's diary gets lost and how that becomes a political problem if the tabloids get a hold of it. Apparently she said some really not nice stuff about her mother in it. Of course President/mom has to mediate between the 16 year old and the youngest daughter who actually stole the diary.

On the political side, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. A little trite and gushy with feelings, but not overly biased. One thing she espoused that I actually liked (shock of the century) was as an independent with only 2 years left on the term, with an independent's chances of winning, she says while trying to convince the new VP to join her that she's not there to play political games, just to do what's best for the AMerican people. Yeah, gag me with a spoon, saccarine sweet, but a good ideal none the less.

Had to check on the shows creator, Rod Lurie. He wrote and directed The Contender, the movie with Joan Allen where the evil Republican Senator drags the Democrat female VP candidate's name throught the mud. It's been a while since I've seen this movie but I recall being nonplussed with it. Looks like he toned it down a bit for the TV version.

We'll have to wait and see how that holds up. With baseball playoffs on Fox, there may not be many episodes of House over the next few weeks, so I guess I'll have to wach CIC and Earl.